There are so many times in the past month that I have been reminded of the power that we have when we speak. And I could make a very painful list of the amount of times this past month that I have underestimated and misused this power.
"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."
I want to be wise, but man, am I reckless with my words. I was able to justify most of the times I hurt people with my words by thinking, "oh, I didn't mean anything though." Well, that's exactly the problem, isn't it? (flipping through Proverbs will get you every time!) I need to start being intentional in what I'm saying. And maybe if what I'm saying isn't intentional...it just doesn't need to get said.
"When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise."
I started looking at the reason I am saying what I'm saying. Sometimes there is no reason, I'm just talking and what comes out is stupid. But most of the time, these hurtful things, are coming out of my self...my need to be important, have information, be more powerful, smarter, cooler. This desire in me that is so ugly...to make people feel less because I want to feel more.
So, here is my public forum to say I'm working on it. Not perfect, but repentant and trying. A person can only pretend to have it all together so long, right? Welp, I'm far from all together...secret is out. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment