Welcome to another installment of Theology Today with Kylee Larson.
I am writing a paper that will answer the question of who is the Servant/servant that is referred to in the prophet Isaiah's writings. So, I am reading about how Jesus himself was a Servant, and how we (the nation of Israel in Isaiah) are called to be servants of God as well.
Here is my summary of my findings thus far:
We are called to be servants. Our role as servants to Yahweh is to show him to the rest of the world. However, the servants of Yahweh are required to live a certain way, which we cannot live up to. Don't worry, Jesus is a Servant, and he enables us to do so. We are NOT WORTHY, but we are CALLED, and we are ENABLED.
Israel, and us too, have a problem. They were not chosing to serve Yahweh, but they were chosing to serve the nations that surrounded them. They didn't trust God, they trusted what they could see right in front of them. We have a CHOICE to TRUST.
Even though Yahweh has shown himself trustworthy time and time again, many times we still are not motivated towards servanthood. God delivered Judah from an attacking King, and yet Judah still did not trust him. We need to be MOTIVATED.
What can motivate us? It all comes down to Isaiah, chapter 6! (Aren't you excited? Because I am)! Chapter 6 is an account of Isaiah's own calling. In chapter 6 Isaiah sees the glory of God.
"I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: 'Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.' At the sound of their voices the doorposts and the thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke."
After Isaiah sees this, he freaks out: Woe to me! I am ruined! (He sees he is NOT WORTHY) But God purifies him (ENABLES!) and when God calls him (CALLED!) he says "Here am I. Send me!" (MOTIVATED).
Why is he motivated? He tasted the glory of God. It's not just a job for Isaiah. He is not after his own gain or fame. He isn't even thinking of the implications for himself. He saw, felt, heard, tasted, swam in the glory. This is the answer he gives to Israel and to us. In order to serve God, we have to experience Him. Simple and complicated as that.
Implications? I'll keep thinking of them. Right now I have to finish my reading. Maybe I'll have more for you later! I know you are so excited.
1 comment:
I love your comments on your classes. I really would love to read your papers! Have a great week!
Marci
Post a Comment