I made a turkey! Why do they put all those body parts in there? Seriously. I think there would be a major market for de-body-parted turkeys, if no such turkey yet exists. That was disgusting. But the turkey was good! In other food news this week, Jello Pudding Pops are back! Do you remember those? A huge part of my youth, I tell you. And I found them at Marsh grocery store the other day! They are smaller now...but still pack that same delicious punch as in the days of old.
I've been sitting in the library all day today. Pretty exciting. I did find out some very interesting theology information, however. I will share my small knowledge with you now because this has confused me for a long time, and I've finally gained some insight. I had heard that Satan was a fallen angel, the angel of "light." I never really knew where this came from or why it mattered, but I was reading some Stanely Grenz today, and he explained it in the following way (this summarized version may not make any sense because I am not, in fact, Stanely Grenz).
Anyway. In the Old Testament mindset, they saw God (Yahweh) as the head of a sort of royal-court of deities. The satan of this court (satan means accuser) played a sort of prosecutional lawyer sort of role. His function was to bring into question the righteousness of humanity. This explains his role in the book of Job, which was confusing to me. In Job, however, we see that he took his role as prosecutor too far, not just calling into question the character of people, but actually tempting them to do evil. Because of this the satan became Satan, not for God's plan, but against it. He took his role too far. He got cast out of heaven, not as an angel of light (lucifer means "light" or "weeping"...maybe that's where that came from), but as a member of this court who went against the head (Yahweh).
So Satan is now on earth, screwing around with people and the plan of God. The Jesus comes, the ultimate defense attorney, if you want to stick with that metaphor, and there is no need for a prosecuter anymore.
Hm. I guess you can think about that if you want to. Doesn't make full sense to me, but it's a good piece of intellectual gum (I just made that up...intellectual gum).
No comments:
Post a Comment