Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Ode to Basswood

This post is really going to be all about trees.

When I was growing up, my dad had a sawmill. And I feel like he spent a lot of time cutting down trees for said sawmill. This especially seemed to happen in the spring. I believe that this is where my deep love for trees began.

Once he cut down a birch tree in our yard. There was still a little snow on the ground. The stump of the tree was oozing with sap. I licked it. Right off the tree. It was the best thing I've ever tasted before or since. It tasted like life. If you ever want to taste life, cut a birch tree and lick it.

Not only are trees delicious, I also love how they smell. Love love love. I've been carving basswood lately and my hands smell like basswood all day afterwards. It is an incredible smell, and if there was a "fresh cut wood" perfume, I would buy it. And everyone would say how good I smelled all the time.

Those are the thoughts for today. :)

1 comment:

-jscott. said...

this, your childhood memories and the things that seem like they come from a movie a book an excerpt from the inside of your the commentary that is inside of your head. this is a glimpse. and i really enjoy it.