Saturday, September 11, 2010

I was in my car on my way to school

I decided to blog today because Reagan Taylor said it was about time. There's been things going on, but probably nothing that isn't an overshare or just boring, so I've been struggling for content. I logged on to facebook this morning and in the midst of status updates about how much fun people had last night at the Anderson football game and other random information, several of my friends had posts related to September 11th.

I have many friends who are pacifists. I'd like to be a pacifist. I agree with it in about every hypothetical situation. I hesitate to say that I am, however, because I would probably without hesitation become pretty violent pretty quick if someone hurt the people I love most.

But I remember watching the 911 attacks with horror, and I think we can all remember that. I also remember watching our "shock and awe" campaign with equal amounts of horror...maybe more. How is this an answer?

My friend Kirsten posted a quote from Martin Luther King Jr., "Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction. The chain reaction of evil- hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars- must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation."

It's my thought for today. It's my thought for the world, because I don't often think globally, and this may be a good place to start. It's my thought for my relationships, because I've been noticing lately the high levels of subtle violence we act out on each other even as "friends." "family." And it's my thought for my own heart. That maybe instead of hating myself I can begin by loving the things in my heart that are true and pure and whole. Today I am leading with love.

No comments: